Monday, August 9, 2010

0

ITINERA: A LOWCOST HANDMADE ROBOT

ITINERA was the robot that I built as Degree Project five years ago at ITI (Instituto Tecnológico de Informática). The aim of this robot was to integrate all the technology developed at ITI in subjects like Speech Recognition, Computer Vision and so on.

The thing you should keep in mind when looking at ITINERA is that it was a low cost project and handmade.

Basically it is a regular PC with an aluminum structure, motors, wheels, cameras,some control circuits and software.

Here you can see ITINERA in action (thanks to Luis for the video):


It was taken to several events and it claimed the attention of a lot of people. Unfortunately I was assigned to other projects and ITINERA was abandoned :(

Now, five years later, I have a couple of months free and I wanted to rescue that robot and do some upgrading. I talked to the people of ITI and they, very gently, lend it to me so I could work with it at home.

After all this years of being in a corner it was in really bad shape. Now I started to repair and reprogramme it (I am ashamed of the software I wrote 5 years ago xD).

No comments:

Post a Comment